Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Cans For Critters would like to introduce Circles! 

Yes, I know, that is a strange name for a cat.  You see, Circles was one of the feral kittens born at Jack's.  We had previously trapped him and his brother when they were quite small and had them neutered, then released back to the colony.  The foster home was full and we had no takers. 

Each day I went to visit the colony and I always took them a treat to eat, just so I could do a basic "inventory".  This particular kitten had a love for chicken.  Though he was wild and VERY afraid of me, he would run down the hill on "chicken" day to grab a bite and run back up, circle around and come down again.  So cute! 

But one day I came and Circles' brother was gone.  Circles was especially afraid of me, the wind and all else that day.  I don't know what happened to his brother but we had kittens disappear there before.  Jack suspected they were eaten by raccoons.  I went home and got a cat carrier and some chicken. 

Husband:  "What are you doing with the cat carrier?". 

Wife (me):  "Umm, there is a problem at Jack's...". 

Husband:  "DO NOT BRING ANOTHER CAT HOME!!". 

Wife:  "Yeah, OK, gotta go, see you later.  Love you!". 

I figured I would deal with the husband later.  I happen to know Tim has a soft spot for the kitties.  And I didn't know if I could catch him or not. 

At Jack's I set my carrier up and stood with my foot by the door, ready to kick it closed if I could catch Circles.  I began tossing chicken to the cats per usual routine.  Sure enough, Circles ran down the hill, grabbed a bite and ran up again.  I then put the remaining chicken in the carrier and a few chunks by the door.  The other cats ate the chicken by the door.  Circles circled down and ran in the carrier and I slammed the door shut.  He was so terrified he never ate another bite of his beloved chicken.  I assured him on the way home he would be very happy with me and not to worry. 

At the same time my neighbor was on vacation and I was caring for her animals.  She had a domestic kitten about the same age as Circles.  I picked her cat up and took him to my house too.  I had an idea.  Perhaps if I locked them both in a room her cat would show Circles how to use a litter box.  It worked! 

Oddly, Tim didn't say too much about it.  He is a pretty good guy. 

This is Circles today.  He is a very large cat.  He has lost most of his wild traits but is afraid of strangers.  We have become his parents now and he sleeps right in the middle of our bed.  My neighbor's cat comes around every day and they remember each other well.  They are friends and it is cute to watch them socialize. 

Tomorrow I am going to tell the story of Meanie, Buddy, Mama Dog and Max.

No comments: